I can't believe I'm finally done. It's been a challenging 7 months of surgery, chemo, and radiation. Cancer is incredibly hard to destroy. Many cancer patients go through all this and more for longer and still have a high chance for recurrence; for example lung cancer - 85% , ovarian cancer - 75%. I am humbled by these statistics and feel fortunate that my cancer only has a 15% chance of recurrence. This isn't much higher than my original chances of getting it in the first place.
I feel great and have so much energy. I am pleased with how well I've regained strength and stamina considering how brutal the chemo was for me. I wonder if the cancer was taking a toll on me while it was growing or if I feel so good now because I was down for so long. (I don't remember feeling this way before my diagnosis). Whatever the reason I welcome feeling good and treasuring each moment. So now instead of going to doctor appointments and treatments, I'm off to yoga, pilates, lunch with friends, concerts, etc. I'm off the sofa and in the garden planting flowers and veggies. Next week we're renting a house in Mendocino for 5 days with our good friends, Ann and Steven. My hair is coming back. It looks quite gray, kind of a salt and pepper (heavy on the salt!). I'm so glad to have hair I really don't care. It's about 3/4 of an inch long. I can't wait till I'm comfortable going out without a hat. So much of what used to bother or upset me is of no consequence now. I really don't sweat the small stuff, because really that's what most of it is. I guess it takes the really big stuff, like cancer, to make us realize this.
This ordeal started in summer, I watched the poplars and birches outside the family room window go through their seasonal changes. I felt similar transitions as the leaves went from green to gold, then floated to the ground with the fall winds (kind of like my hair!). The empty branches, dark against the cold winter sky, appeared as lifeless as I felt. And now the promise of spring has arrived, new life sprouts from the barren trees and new vitality gathers in me. The white crowned sparrows have returned; the world is again filled with vibrant color and new growth as the cycle continues and I take my place in it.
So this brings my blog to a close. I will keep you posted as new challenges appear. I still have to take the estrogen blocker for 5 years. I can't thank everyone enough for all the love and support sent my way. I treasure every e-mail, phone call, visit, meal, gift, and general good vibes from all the wonderful folks in my life. I send each of you blessings for sharing my journey.
Namaste,
Anita
Anita, as soon as I started reading this I was thinking in terms of your having had a winter of your soul and now being able to enjoy spring, outdoors as well as of your spirit. This was your lost year! You are indeed fortunate to be able to celebrate your rebirth in the midst of the abundance and exuberance of spring. Congratulations. I know you never aspired to be a role model for other women, but it's been thrust upon you! Please convey my love to Ann and have a wonderful time with them.
ReplyDeleteLove always,
Maggie
yay!!!!!! i'm so happy that you've made it through that crazy tunnel. looking forward to seeing you and celebrating together. Love you!!!
ReplyDelete