We got back from SF yesterday. It was a tiring trip, but it was nice to eat out and be in the city. We were very impressed with the radiology oncologist at UCSF. She only treats breast cancer so she is an expert on the subject. She was very thorough and went over everything (including giving Glenn the 50 page study of the benefits of radiation in reducing recurrence) and we never felt rushed. The advantage of having the treatment there is that the technicians who do the treatments are better trained. Also, before treatment begins there is a process where you are positioned for the treatment. Measurements are taken (and I get some small tattoos on my chest- I always wanted one!) as well as a CAT scan to see where organs (like my heart and thyroid) are so they can be avoided during treatment. The position of the machine is based on all this so damage to other areas is minimized.
The radiologist in Chico, with whom I wasn't impressed, actually told me if during treatment my throat hurts I need to tell the technician as that means my esophagus is being hit! I don't think that will be an issue at UCSF. I have a friend I can stay with and my sister lives there too. I would come home on weekends. The treatment lasts for about 6 weeks, but I believe I should get the best care available to me. There is another center about 30 minutes from us and I will check that out and see what they can offer.
Many people have commented on how proactive I have been throughout my treatment. I believe we all need to be advocates for our health care. This is my life at stake and I want to make the most informed decisions I can.
I'm going to get ready for treatment #6, so I'll be out of it for a while. Thanks again for all the nice emails. What would I do without all you wonderful people.
I think you are extremely smart to question your treatment and health care choices. There are some really wonderful doctors out there, but I think it is very important to go with your gut and what makes you feel comfortable. I've noticed this personally with the advice doctors give me about my children. For example at Ryker's last doctors appointment the doctor told me that I should stop breast feeding him and only give him whole cows milk. WHAT? Her reasoning was so that it would help him gain more weight. I just couldn't get on board with that though. That logic doesn't make sense to me, especially when there are so many pros (especially health wise) to breast feeding. Anyways, glad to hear that you're looking at all your options and going with what makes you feel most comfortable. Good luck with the next treatment!
ReplyDeleteSarah
Anita, you are so lucky to have access to such a wonderful treatment option! It sounds so much better than the run of the mill radiation, what my friends have all gone through. You are doing absolutely everything conceivable to come out on the other end of this in terrific shape to bounce back to your old self. Your NEW old self! I'd love to see you again sometime. We live too far apart.
ReplyDeleteLots of love,
Maggie