Sunday, December 4, 2011

Almost there

      I can't believe that on after my infusion next Tuesday I'll only have 2 more treatments to go. I can see the light at the end of this dismal tunnel. I'm so sick of not feeling good, I can't wait to start exercising again and building my strength back. And I look forward to going to parties and eating out and doing "normal" things. Since my immunity is so low, I've avoided all those things. Also, I haven't really felt that great (not that you would notice :>).
      The Taxol has different side effects, I had a few days of muscle aches. They can get very severe, but I was able to just take Motrin and hang in there. I got very fatigued when my blood count plummeted and ran a fever like I did on the other chemo drugs. But I am feeling better today and overall think this drug isn't so strong.  The other drugs made me mentally out of it along with the physical symptoms so I felt bad but I just sort of floated along. The Taxol doesn't affect my mental state, which results in a disparity between my mind and my physical body. I could see where I could get depressed by this so I'm trying to stay positive and focus on the end of all this.
     Today we're driving to SF because I have two appointments at UCSF tomorrow. I'm meeting with a genetic counselor to see if I'm a candidate for the genetic test for the breast cancer gene. I thought they would just do the test, but I guess the insurance won't pay unless its recommended by the genetics person. I'm also meeting with a radiology oncologist. Radiation is the next phase of my treatment so I want to get more information about my options. I have a doctor here, but I figure why not take advantage of a world class facility that is nearby. I'm hoping that I don't have to have as aggressive treatment as was originally called for. We're staying at a B&B near the medical center and I'm actually eating out tonight! Even though, we're there for a kind of sad reason, I can still pretend it's a mini-vacation.
     I think that brings everyone up to date on my world. I had a nice Thanksgiving with my sister, Jessica, her friend Dan and Michael and Mariah. They did all the work!  I missed not doing it- it's my favorite holiday and last year I had 6 house guests and 11 people at the table. Next year.........
    Hope all is well in your world and don't forget to subscribe so you'll get notified when I post.

No comments:

Post a Comment